Lets Get Packing!!!
Uniform Shirts and Jackets will be supplied by American Seafarers and will be part of the uniform. The non-refundable deposit sent at the time of application is used to produce these. Your Seafarers will take these home with them. We will be supplying the following:
- 8 Crew Neck T-Shirts (working uniform)
- 3 Collared T-Shirts (a little more presentable for going ashore)
- 2 Long Sleeve T-Shirts (for cooler mornings and evenings)
- 2 Hoodie Sweatshirts (for even cooler mornings and evenings)
To assure your kids have everything they need, we have provided a list of all necessary items that should be packed. Space is a very real constraint aboard a sailing ship. Please pack all of your child’s clothing and personal items in a 24 inch water resistant duffel bag. If it doesn’t fit in the duffel bag, there won’t be room for it aboard. Additionally please do not pack “extras” unless indicated, as stated already there will be no space to keep them, especially if they don’t already fit into a 24 inch duffel bag.
Also please note that your children’s clothes must endure 6 weeks of high activity levels and will wear quickly. Please do not supply “throw away” clothes except as indicated. They will not last long.
In some cases we state 8 weeks worth of a supply. This is to assure your child doesn’t run out of a needed supply in the last week or two. Please plan as if we were really spending 8 weeks at sea. If your child runs out of supplies, we will bill your supplied credit card to replace the missing supplies.
Feel free to print this out and use it as a checklist.
- Complete sets of Underwear (10)
- White Socks (10)
- Blue Jeans (3)
- Khaki Shorts (8)
- Pajamas/Sleepwear (2 sets)
- Swim Suits (4) * Please see our guidelines and requirements at the bottom of the page
- Heavy Duty Wind Breaker (Preferably from a boater’s outlet)
- 2 sets of shorts and t-shirts that can be TRASHED and thrown away.
- Ditty Bag (Labelled with name on outside)
- Toothbrushes (2)
- Toothpaste (2 tubes)
- Shaving Supplies for 8 weeks. (if necessary)
- Shampoo and Conditioner (2 large bottles)
- Liquid Antibacterial Bath Soap
- Waterproof Sunscreen (twice as much as you think you need for 6 weeks)
- Comb and/or Brush
- Sunblocking lip balm or lip ointment
- Sunglasses (2 pair)(If you wear prescription glasses/lenses bring an extra pair or an 8 week supply of contacts)
- Flip Flops for shower
- Tennis Shoes/Sneakers (1), for walking ashore
- Boat Shoes (1) white bottomed no slip shoes sometimes called dock-siders for wearing while aboard.
- Beach Towels (2), please wash before packing to prevent color bleeding
- Large White Bath Towels (2)
- White Washcloths (2)
- Laundry Bags (2), name CLEARLY marked on OUTSIDE
- Summer Weight Sleeping Bag (for island camping)
Miscellaneous Required Items
- Nose Plugs, if required
- Swim Googles (2 pair) not required but highly recommended, we swim in salt water.
- Bandanas (2)
- String Backpack or Totebag
- Ear Plugs (Highly Recommended, enough for 8 weeks)
- Stationary, SASE Envelopes and Stamps (enough for 2 letters per week for 8 weeks)
- Pens and Pencils
Miscellaneous Recommended but optional Items
- Reading Books
- Playing Cards
- Pictures from home to hang in your berthing
- Favorite Salt Water Fishing Rod and Reel (We have plenty of rods, but if you have one you would prefer to bring, feel free)
* – Swimsuit Guidelines and Requirements
Please understand that your children will be swimming and sunbathing in mixed company. Please assure that your children have selected swimwear that meets your standards of suitability. That said however, we must have a minimum acceptable standard
Girls, Bikini bathing suits are permitted, but bathing attire must fully cover both top and bottom. It is recommended that girls have at least one full body one piece bathing suit for higher speed activities such as water skiing, tubing, body surfing and diving into the water. Absolutely no thongs, no scallops, fig leaf, lace or other see-thru materials. Covering material must cover the whole of the body part it is intended to cover.
Boys, no thong bottoms are permitted. Covering material must cover the whole of the body part it is intended to cover.